Friday, October 19, 2007

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This): Meeting Annie Lennox.

Annie Lennox
State Theatre. Minneapolis. Minnesota. October 18, 2007.


I met Annie Lennox. After being a fan for over 20 years I finally got a chance to not only meet her but also have an actual conversation.

Annie’s concert tonight at the State Theatre was electric. She was at the top of her game and is a true performer. Annie’s talent far exceeds that of an entertainer. Annie is a true artist to the core. After weeks of desperation, false hopes, plotting and scheming...I landed a ticket just hours before the show. A perfect seat, 10th row, dead center aisle.

My favorite moments of the show included her performances of “Pavement Cracks”, “Sweet Dreams”, “No More I Love Yous”, “Why” “Sing”, and my favorite song off her new album “Smithereens”. “Smithereens” makes me think of a friend from college that I’ve grown apart from, so it was definitely an emotional part of the concert to say the least.

After the encore I beat feet to the stage door. There was no way I was going to let her get from the stage to the tour bus without an autograph. I was totally prepared. In my bag I had eight Eurythmics studio albums, two Eurythmics greatest hits albums, Annie’s four solo albums, the remix cd of “Pavement Cracks”, and the soundtrack for “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” in which she did the theme song and won an Oscar Award for. I also had four black Sharpie markers and two silver Sharpie markers and an umbrella. I was ready. So I get out the sidewalk and it is raining pretty good and cold and really windy at times. I pulled out my umbrella and a wind gust came along and in a Mary Poppins moment sucked up my umbrella and snapped all the wire arms. Dammit. So I was so disgusted I just threw it on the ground. The first time I ever littered. I was livid. I am sure some homeless person was happy to find it and hopefully found a good use for it. But, after a few moments I just resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be really cold and very wet. So it goes.

The crowd grew a little larger at the stage door with many other hopefuls. We were all chatting and talking about the crazy weather and how awesome the show was. After a little bit some people started to sing her song “Sing” and everyone joined it. It became a rousing little Kumbaya moment on the sidewalk. Of course I knew Madonna’s part of the song.

After a short wait we were ushered into the building and told that they were in a hurry but that Annie would sign autographs quickly. Everyone could get one autograph.

I didn’t know what I should have her sign. I called Becca in a panic but she was no help at all. She was sleeping, so she was pretty out of it and the cell phone reception was terrible. So after trying to explain to her what was happening a million times I finally gave up and just said “I’ll talk to you tomorrow” and hung up quick. The women behind me had overheard me on the phone and asked what I was going to have Annie sign. I told them that I had all the cd’s in my bag and that I didn’t know what to do. One of them just looked at me and said “You are so cute. Just relax. Go to your quiet place. Be still”. So I did. Then she asked me what my favorite song of Annie’s is. Without hesitation I said “Into the West”. She said “Ok then…there you go. That’s what you have her sign.” She was right. That was the perfect choice for me.

As I was standing there watching Annie talk to people and giving autographs it just seemed really surreal. It’s so odd when you see people in real life that you have watched on TV for years and years. She is really beautiful in person. She is also small. I just looked at her and was struck by how human and regular she seemed standing there. After a few more moments it was my turn…

Annie: Hello.
Me: Hi. Would you please sign this?
Annie: Sure.

*Annie seemed really surprised that I had “The Lord of the Rings” soundtrack for her to sign. So I figured I’d just tell her why quickly.*

Me: I have to tell you. I absolutely love the song “Into the West”.
Annie: Thank you.
Me: When my mom was in the hospital after being diagnosed with cancer she wanted me to go and buy a cd to listen to while she would be sleeping. I went and bought this cd because of your song on it.

*At this point I started to tear up and my voice started to crack. I couldn’t believe I was getting to emotional about it. She looked at me and grabbed my hand.*

Annie: Oh really. Wow. Thank you.
Me: No, thank you. Your song really helped me deal with what was going on.
Annie: Well, it a good song for that situation. Interestingly enough, you know it was written for someone who had cancer as well.
Me: It’s a beautiful song. It was sung at my mom’s funeral.
Annie: My mother also died of cancer. I know where you are coming from. It’s such a difficult experience. I wish you well.
Me: Thank you. I’d give you a hug but I am soaked from the rain. So I’ll just shake your hand, if that’s ok?

*We shook hands and then she held my hand for a moment and patted it with her other hand.*

Annie: Of course. Thank you for coming.
Me: Thank you. Good Night.

And then she handed back my CD and marker. She smiled and nodded and I headed back into the rain. As I was walking down the street some people that were behind me came running up and told me that they could not believe what just took place. I had to agree. Quite a moment to say the least.

No comments: