Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Trisha Yearwood

This morning at work I was holding the door for someone who needed to get back to the restrooms. As soon as I turned back around I was face to face with Trisha Yearwood. That moment took me by surprise. She just looked at me and smiled and said hello as she walked through the door that I was still holding open.

I thought…why is Trisha here? So I called Francie and confirmed that yes it was, in fact, Trisha. Now this is what kills me about my job. I honestly have no idea who is ever here. The elevator will ding and the doors open and out will step Big & Rich with Cowboy Troy, or Nelly Furtado will be upstairs, or James Blunt will stroll past my desk and say “Cheers”. The element of surprise is alive and well at my job. It usually makes for an interesting day. I don’t have any trouble making small talk as they come through…except with Mat Kearney. I couldn’t make a coherent sentence no matter how hard I tried when he was here. That was the only time I have ever truly geeked out at my job.

So Trisha passes by my desk and my co-worker Mary says “Trisha, I want you to meet Jason.” So Trisha walks over to me and sticks her hand out for me to shake. I stand and shake her hand. Below is our conversation…

Trisha: Wow…you have a lot of extensions. That would make me crazy.
Me: Yeah…believe it or not, I did go to college. Now I answer a phone.
Trisha: Well, my first job was as a receptionist at a record label. My first day I hung up on my boss four times. I was so nervous.
Me: Well, I think in the end things worked out pretty well for you.
Trisha:*laughs* Yeah, they did. It actually helped me a lot to break out of my shell. I was really shy back then.
*her assistant sets down a publicity photo and sharpie marker for her to do an autograph*
Trisha *looks at the picture and marker and then looks at me* Do you even want one?
Me: Ahh, yeah, I actually would.
Trisha: It’s Jason, right?
Me: Yes, Jason.
*she signs the photo “To Jason, Love, Trisha Yearwood”*
Trisha: Well, Jason. Here you go. It was really nice to meet you. Take care.
Me: Thank you. *and then she smiled, waved and left*

Trisha was so unbelievably nice and sincere, it really surprised me. Not, that I would expect her to be rude or difficult or anything. I just didn’t think she would be so down to Earth. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. Hummmm.

No comments: