Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Six Ring

I had an audition on Tuesday night for the Six Ring Circus improv troop at Brave New Workshop.

For years I avoided improv like the plague. I didn’t understand it, I didn’t like doing it, and I didn’t even like talking about it. About a year ago on a whim I decided to step outside my comfort zone and I auditioned for the performance track improv class. The audition was horrible. I will never forget it. I had never done improv before…I had no clue what was involved. I was thrust on stage and had to hit the ground running. I didn’t know the terms or instructions. I just winged it as best as I could. I walked out of the audition and literally doubled over on the street corner laughing hysterically over what a mess it had been. I called Becca and I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t talk. I’m not lying. It was out of this world terrible.

I got into the class. Turns out the instructor felt I had talent, but I didn’t know what I was doing. I was the class pet project. Interesting.

So I took the series of classes. Four levels of the performance track. In a few weeks I will finish the finale stage of the class, which is music. I had said it once, I have said it a million times I am a terrible singer but I love the class. It is so much fun. Wild fun.

The audition on Tuesday was ok. I had auditioned once before for Six Ring and it was pretty bad and I wasn’t cast. Truthfully I wasn’t devastated that I didn’t get cast, but it certainly was a blow to the ego. I’m not going to lie. Funny how the ego gets bruised when you never expect it to. Then seeing some of the people that were cast I was even more disheartened because I figured I was just as good, if not better than them. Then I was told that a lot of it came down to who was a good fit within the already structured teams. That made a little bit of sense. As much as I like to pretend that I can get along with anyone, I am constantly reminded that I have a strong personality by those around me. They find it hilarious that I am unaware of how my personality is perceived by others. Whatever.

Much to my surprise this time I was cast. I am on a great team and I am beyond stoked to be doing Six Ring. Interesting how things have a way of turning out. In the end, it worked out for the best. So come and catch a show…every Tuesday night starting in September.

No comments: