Wednesday, August 29, 2007

3rd Fair Adventure

Today for work we went to the State Fair. This was my third trip to the fair. I am not sure whose bright idea it was to head out to the fair for the staff bonding experience, but at least it was better than last year’s outing. Last year we went mini-golfing and out to lunch at a swanky restaurant. I was fine with mini-golfing until we got to the course and saw that it wasn’t real mini-golf but rather just a real golf course scaled down in size. There were no clowns or windmills or crazy holes. Nothing. Just green grass, a few crappy sand traps, and some ponds. It blew. I ended up hitting my ball into a pond and when I crouched down to fish it out I popped the button off my shorts. Yeah, you heard me. I popped the button off my shorts. Well…since I don’t normally travel with a sewing kit I ended up having to tie my shorts together with some dental floss that Mary had in her purse. A few holes later I hit my ball into a different pond and Tom, my manager, came over as I was trying to fish it out again and said “Here let me do it. I don’t want you to lose your button again.”. It was a long day. So I suggested that next year we just go to Arby’s for lunch and then head back to the office to play Scrabble. Clearly no one remembered my suggestion this year. The Fair it was.

The trip was ok, nothing great but also nothing bad. One of my co-workers was really crabby, so that made for a few touch and go moments. She felt that she shouldn’t have to wait if our co-workers wanted to get something to eat or use the restroom. Eventually she left the group and headed down the birthing barn. Happy trails. If we were in the hundred acre woods, she definitely would be Eeyore. No doubt about it.

Surprisingly not too much happened at the fair other than eating a lot of food. I had some pizza, cheese curds, mini-donuts, a deep fried Snicker bar (which was gross), chocolate chip cookies. Once again not only did I fall off the diet wagon, but I was run over by it a couple of times. Ouch. I spent the rest of the day wishing my clothes were made of elastic.

This Friday will be trip number four to the State Fair. Say a prayer for me and my waistline.

No comments: