Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Awkward Moment #468

Last night Becca and I attend a Fringe Festival show. It wasn’t very good, but that’s beside the point, back on topic. While looking at the program Becca saw a name she recognized and was excited that he was there working in the technical booth. After the show, she said she wanted to stop and say hi to Sean. So we wander over to the tech booth, but I was more than ready to bail out of fear of running into any of the actors or producers and have that “it was fun (but it really sucked)” moment of awkwardness. Once at the booth I am horrified, no, make it beyond horrified, to see that it is Sean from my freshman year of college at Moorhead State University. I just don’t like him. What are the flipping odds that we would be in the same theatre at 10:30 on a Tuesday night in Minneapolis? Obviously the odds were not in my favor because now we were standing face to face.

Now, some of you may not know this, but in rather awkward situations where I am taken off guard I can get kind of icy. It’s true. I don’t try to be rude, but I am just not comfortable. I’m not always the most out-going and friendly person. I just have a hard time faking it sometimes. So while Becca stood there talking up a storm, I would do a half-hearted nod or smirk every so often. We parted ways with no vain attempts at the whole “let’s get together sometime” crap that people do and never mean it.

So we go downstairs and are in the hallway about to exit the building. As we walk to the door this was our conversation…

JASON: Well, that’s someone I never want to see again.
BECCA: Who? Sean?
JASON: Yeah, Sean.
*neither of us noticed Sean right behind us.*
SEAN: Ahh, you’re a jackass. I’m locking the door so you can’t get back in.
*we walk out the door and Sean locks it. *

Once outside the door Becca and I immediately doubled over laughing, I almost wet myself. Becca said that it was one of her favorite moments of the year. I could not believe that I was so clueless that Sean was directly behind us. Clearly I need to be more aware of my surroundings before I speak. But, at least I didn’t try to backpedal or make a joke out of it. I meant it and it’s ok that he knows it, right? They were my words and I own them. So there it is. My nice guy reputation is now soiled. Damn it. I’m a jackass.

No comments: