Monday, October 20, 2008

Meeting Jewel



Jewel and Me!
Yes, I am wearing a western shirt. I did it for Jewel.




Last Friday Becca and I headed to the Minnesota State Fair to see Jewel perform at the Grand Stand. The very moment I set foot on the fairgrounds I was done. Too many people, too much crap everywhere, too little room to move. The State Fair is over excessive in every sense of the word. Becca loves it. I hate it.

My awesome co-worker Mary arranged for us to get a Meet & Greet Pass to go backstage before the show and meet Jewel. This is my second time meeting her. The first time I met Jewel was a few months ago back at the K102 radio station. She came in to do some promotion for her new CD that was about to be released.

I was sitting at my desk working (well, let’s be honest…I was surfing the net and blogging) when Jewel arrived. She walked off the elevator and Mary introduced us. There is a huge awards case behind my desk. Jewel said that there are a lot of awards. I looked at her and said “Yes, there are. I’m a pretty good receptionist.”. So we talked for a few moments and she went off to a meeting. A little while later I went back to the performance space to watch her perform for the show. It was awesome. She sang a few songs, told some hilarious stories, and gave a great interview. It was a riot. Then she did an autograph signing and took some photos. While in line I was mistaken yet again for being Crisco. Apparently to the entire world Crisco and I could be twins. I don’t see it. But, I think for as long as I work here I will be mistaken for him. Oh well. It’s like we are the overweight male version of the Olson Twins. But, I’m the cute one. So would that make me Mary Kate or Ashley? Hummmm….anyway.

So I get up to Jewel and I have all of her CD’s in my bag. I crack open my bag and Mary looks at me and says, in front of Jewel….

MARY: Jason no! You can’t have her sign all your CD’s.
ME: I know Mary! I just want her to sign her favorite one.
JEWEL: (just looks at me. Wide eyed.)
ME: Hi Jewel. So which CD is your favorite?
JEWEL: Well, I like them all.
ME: (I move “Goodbye Alice In Wonderland” to the top of the pile and hand it to her.) Wow. That’s my favorite one as well.
JEWEL: (laughs) Well, how about every time I come to the station I sign a CD for you.
ME: Yeah…that would be awesome.
JEWEL: It might take us seven years, but we will do it.
ME: I will hold you to it.

Then we take a photo and I grab the CD’s and head back to my desk.

On her way out she passes by my desk and says goodbye and makes a joke about how we are best friends forever. I love my job.

So now standing backstage at the meet and greet I’m trying to think of something to say so she remembers me. There’s maybe twenty of us in line. I’ve got nothing. My wit is failing me big time.

Her management makes an announcement that Jewel has already signed pictures for us and that she won’t be signing anything else because they are running short on time, so it will be pictures only. Damn! I, of course, had all of her CD’s in my bag hoping she would sign one. Oh well, maybe next time. Jewel comes in and everyone smiles and waves. They start cranking through people like crazy. Walk up, pose, snap picture and you are done.

I’m nervous and still trying to think of something to say. Nothing. Ahhhh, my moment is about to slip away.

I walk up to her. Jewel smiles. I smile.

JEWEL: Hi. How are you?
ME: Great. How are you?
JEWEL: Good. Did you bring a CD for me to sign?
ME: Clearly you remember your favorite receptionist ever.
JEWEL: Of course.
ME: They said you’re not signing anything else.
JEWEL: I’ll sign it. Just wait for me over there and I’ll do when I’m done here.
ME: Awesome. So are you going to sing “Thump Thump” tonight.
JEWEL: No, they crowd doesn’t always get into it. It’s hard…
ME: Jewel! It’s my favorite song on the album!
JEWEL: How about the next time I come into the station I’ll sing it for you.
ME: Ok, but you know that I’ll hold you to it.
JEWEL: I have no doubt you will.
*take picture*

Then I grab my stuff and I go over to the side with Becca. Completely surreal. Jewel remembered me!

So she finishes up the meet and greet and I’m talking to Becca. She stops over to where we are standing and I give her the new CD to sign. Then Jewel says….

JEWEL: You should have brought them all. I would have signed them.
ME: Funny you should say that…because I did!
JEWEL: Well, let’s do it.

So I open my bag and grab the rest of the CD’s. Now, it was supposed to rain so I had the CD’s in a giant gallon Ziploc bag. Jewel and her manager are looking at me like I’m a nutcase. I feel stupid. Becca is laughing. So I then say…

ME: It was supposed to rain. I didn’t want you to get wet.
JEWEL: (laughing) Well, thanks. I appreciate it.

I open the CD’s, Jewel signs them, her manager closes them and puts them back in my bag, and Becca is busy taking photos.

Then out of the blue I say…

ME: Becca is thinking of moving to Alaska. (Becca looks at me horrified.)
JEWEL: (looks up and seems confused) Why?
BECCA: My friend lives there and I could teach.
ME: I keep telling her she shouldn’t go.
JEWEL: Where at?
BECCA: (says the name of the place, I don’t remember it to be honest.)
JEWEL: Is that one of the villages?
BECCA: Yes.

Then there is some more discussion about Alaska and the show. I don’t remember exactly what was all said. I’ll have to ask Becca for more details.

Jewel finishes signing the CD’s. My collection is complete. I got some fun photos. And most importantly Jewel did not approve of Becca moving to Alaska. Awesome!

The show is a lot of fun. Jewel is an outstanding talent and if you ever get a chance to see her…go do it!

(This post was from August 2008. Just published today.)

No comments: