Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday: Day of Rest.

The move is over. It took forever. My arms are sore, my legs are sore, my back is sore…everything is sore. I’m AMAZED at how much crap I fit into that little apartment I had. Where did I stash it all? I’ll never know. It was like Tetris…every square inch was used effectively. Now I just have days and days of unpacking ahead of me. I have this weird compulsion that when I think of something I have to have it immediately. For example…all of a sudden I will think of a CD or a piece of paper or whatever and I get this bizarre obsession of finding it. I will tear the place apart and rummage through everything. It’s like “Super Quest 2007: The Epic Search For The Spice Girls CD.” It’s out of control sometimes. So I’m standing in my apartment in a sea of boxes trying not to think of anything so I don’t have to start the search for the needle in the haystack. Don’t think. Don’t think. Don’t think.

After the move I went to have a late dinner with Becca. We went to TGI Fridays. As we were eating Becca looked at me and made a grunt with a head twitch. That’s our signal for “quick look”. As I turned my head I was treated to the sight of a family of four leaving the restaurant dressed in full on Renaissance wear. The dad was in a kilt and billowy blouse, the mom was dressed to the nines in a serving wench get up, and the two daughters who looked to be in high school were done up like maidens. I just about choked on my food. Fine. Fine. Fine. If you want to dress up and play dragon slayer then do it. Who am I to judge? To each their own. If you want to live your life in some bizarro fantasyland. Great! More power to you. But…why in the hell would you go to TGI Friday’s in St. Louis Park, Minnesota dressed like that? Why? You just don’t buy clothes like that…you have to make them. Wal-Mart no longer stocks corsets and kilts as far as I am aware. This crazy family had to go through a lot of energy and effort to make those outfits. Why do some people have to try so hard to get a little bit attention? I just don’t understand it. I really don’t. Anyways…of course the conversation then turns to a girl we knew back in college. There was another Becca on campus that was infamous for her lack of hygiene and she loved to wear a cape. Yes, I said a cape. I am not joking. Smelly Becca was in a class with us and she once sat next to me and told me the story of her weekend. Smelly Becca was in love with Angela and had asked her to go with her to the Indy Hall (one of the dorms) formal dance. Smelly Becca wore her best Renaissance garb and Angela wore her old prom dress. It was like Queen Elizabeth meets Sixteen Candles. Bizarro. Then she goes on to tell me the highlight of the night was when they slow danced to the song “Total Eclipse of the Heart”. Yes, I died a slow and painful death. No lie. To this day I cannot hear that song without thinking of them.

Later that night I headed over to Target to get a shower curtain since I threw away the one from the old apartment. I had showered without a curtain before going out to eat. I just couldn’t stand it anymore because I was so dirty I was ready to freak. Well…I spent quite a bit of time mopping up the floor afterwards, but at least I was clean. But, I was not about to do it again the next morning. So I bought a curtain and when I went to put it up I discovered it was defective. At this point the store was closed so I could not exchange it. So I decided to just use it in the morning and then go buy a different one. I did not want to mop up a huge mess again.

The next day I headed over to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get yet another shower curtain. I figured they would have more a selection. I quickly found one that would work so I headed over the cashier. As I looked at the woman ringing up my purchase I realized that she looked very familiar. Then I looked at her name tag and it said “Rebecca”. It was Smelly Becca! I just about fell over. I had not seen her in 10 years! Just last night we had talked about her and now she was right in front of me bagging up my shower curtain. We spoke briefly about college and then I bolted for the parking lot. Weird. Just another moment where I wish I had a camera crew with me. I am sure I had a priceless look on my face as I stood there in horror. Seriously…what are the odds?

When I got home I hung up the new shower curtain but it was defective as well. Is it really that impossible to make a shower curtain? It’s not rocket science. But, forget it. I will just use it since I am not running the risk of bumping into Smelly Becca when returning it. It still keeps the water in the tub and I’m clean, sore but clean…and that is all I care about.

No comments: