Friday, August 10, 2007

and i sing....

I sang. I sang in front of others. I didn’t die. More importantly no one else died either. I want some badges of honor to wear proudly. I deserve them.

I have been taking the performance track improv classes at Brave New Workshop this past year and now have finally come to the final class…music. Basically it’s the same as regular improv scenes except that you sing everything. Everything. Nothing is spoken in the scene. If it was real life instead of talking through out the day you would sing what you are expressing. For example…if I was doing music improv at work I would pick up the phone and sing “Good Morning, how may I help you?” “Uh huh.” “Oh yeah.” “Hold please, while I look up that extension.” “Good bye…and thank you for calling.” Now it could be done in the style of rock, pop, or maybe even a pretty Celine Dion-esque ballad. Actually now that I think about it…it would probably be a sad ballad. After all, who is happy to be at work? Even if you love your job, there is probably some other place you would rather be than sitting in your cubicle. So yeah, sad tormented ballad it is.

Now I was terrified of this class, I’ve been dreading it all year. I almost bailed about a million times on Thursday. I am not a singer, nor do I pretend to be. I usually only sing in public if I am drunk or…well…there is no or. It’s usually because I am drunk. There were 6 of us in the class along with the musical director and Katy (our instructor). I was in the last duo to perform. I survived. It wasn’t that bad. The music was actually a huge help since it ended up dictating the emotional core of scene. It’s a huge gift in the moment because it gives you a leaping off point. Our scene ended up being that of a young couple madly in love who met each other over the internet. We had a riot.

There it is. I stepped way outside of my comfort zone. I do mean way outside. So far outside, in fact, that had I turned around and looked back I would have never even seen my comfort zone. And that, people, is far. Way far.

But the oddest thing is that I had a blast doing it. I really had fun. Who cares if I can’t sing. It doesn’t matter. It’s just about having a great scene. I am actually looking forward to class now. This is a big change after the ordeal known as “The Harold”. Ugh, that class bit the big one. I didn’t even know if I wanted to do improv anymore after that ordeal. But, now I have found the joy in it again and that is a great feeling.

In a few weeks I will be singing on stage in front of an audience at Six Ring Circus. Say your prayers.

So if you talk to me and I am singing my little fat heart out, don’t be alarmed. I am just practicing. Sit back and enjoy it. It’s “Life: The Improv Musical!”

No comments: