Thursday, September 01, 2005

you've been missed

Hard to believe…yet another funeral. Two this week...back to back. Bizarre yet true. Like so much of life…too bizarre to be true. But it is. Sadly. His name was Sean and I was good friends with his brother. He was young, only 21. Phyllis was 24. Clearly God is calling home the good ones this year.

The “Heathers” inseparable. A bond that could not be broke. A trio of true friends. Inseparable. Much to the annoyance of those on the outside. Sometimes it clicks. Sometimes it doesn’t. And sometimes it CLICKS.

When my mom died, my friend disappeared…dropped off the face of the Earth. No phone call, no email, no card. Nothing. No sympathy, no condolences, no comfort. Nothing.

It goes away if you don’t acknowledge it, right?

The three “Heathers” became two.

“Heather” called me about the news. She saw it on TV. His brother missing and then found. Tragic ending to a nightmarish ordeal. She has just heard and asked if I knew anything about it. I did not. Not a clue. I was shocked. I was stunned. I was floored. Déjà vu. I was also hurt. I could not believe that he did not call me to let me know about his brother. I could not believe that he did not call me. I could not believe…

So close, yet so far away.

I get it.

I called him. Immediately. Forgiveness.

I get it.

Lesson learned. Forgiveness.

I get it.

Death drives people apart. Death brings people together. Constant ebb and flow of life.

Three. Two. Three. Back to the beginning. My friend, you've been missed.

We are a long way from home.
We are a long way from the stars.

2 comments:

Carie said...

sorry for all of your loses

Anonymous said...

Oh Jason, I am sorry that Sean is gone. I am glad the "Heathers" are connected again.