Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Like a blogger...posting for the very first time...

Hummm…so here it is…the very first post. Shouldn’t there be fireworks, music and a kickline or something? Instead there are just words…simple little words that I type. As this blogging adventure begins hopefully the words will be funny, interesting, meaningful, honest and real. If nothing else…it will kill some time.
So I kept waiting for something profound, something deep to kick start this blog. But, nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not off to a great start.
The only remotely exciting thing that happened today was that I found out that the woman who lives in the apartment next to mine have had four mice. Gross. She did not come to the door or seek me out…but, rather walked past me in the hall. It made me think about the randomness of life. I had never met the woman before…never even seen her before and I have lived in that apartment for 3 years. Had I not been leaving the apartment at that exact moment she would have never seen me as she was returning from the garbage room. The fact that I was even at the apartment was strange to begin with. I had not been there in almost 3 weeks because I’ve been out of town. I was only at the apartment for 30 minutes today to pick up my mail and grab a few cd’s. As I was leaving and locking the door and I heard "Excuse me…I live next door and I was wondering…ummm…not to say that you are dirty or anything…ummm…but do you have mice?" I looked at her thinking…1. Oh…so that is what the neighbor looks like. 2. Why would we have mice? We are clean people. Do I look like a person who would have mice? 3. Oh my God…I have not been there for three weeks…I hope we don’t have mice.
Then I said to her "no…we don’t have mice…we have had a couple of ants though." Ants. Like the fact that we have a few itsy-bitsy ants will make her feel better about having mice. Doubtful. So then she proceeded to tell me about the four mice they have found and she was just wondering if it was them or all the apartments. Gross. Then she left and I went back into the apartment and called my roommate to find out if she has seen any mice at any point. Well…no mice. But, now the seed is planted. Are there mice lurking in the apartment? Is it just a matter of time before we find one? Are we going to find another apartment before we do find a mouse? What is the scratching sound coming from the closet?
So there it is…in a single moment…30 some odd seconds everything could change. Had I left a minute earlier or later I would have never met her, I would have never known about the mice, we would not be considering moving.
I am just glad that I am not sleeping there tonight. Happy mouse hunting Jen. Sleep tight.

No comments: