Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Boy Ain't Right

"The Boy Ain't Right" November 17, 2007
Is my name really that hard to spell? For real? The Bastards!


Saturday night I had my stand up comedy show “The Boy Ain’t Right” back in my hometown. It was a riot. I had so much fun. The vast majority of the show was new material so I was a little nervous about that, but I had no reason to worry…the audience had a blast.

Slowly but surely my life is starting to become very Kathy Griffin-esque. I felt like I was in an episode of “My Life on the D-List”. First off, I was bumped out of the main room because of a birthday party. So I had to perform in the dining room. Now this supper club is more than a little run down. The wall paper is peeling off the walls, the carpet is beyond stained, the tables and chairs are broken. It’s pretty much grossalicious. Since I was bumped out of the regular room due to the birthday party they had a little chunk of a stage for me to stand on, a home stereo system (you know the kind with the detachable speakers) with a microphone plugged into it, and no lighting. It was awesome.

The best or worst part, depending on how much of a sense of humor you have, was the fact that they misspelled my name on the sign in the parking lot. Whatever.

I started the show by saying…

“I have two questions. First off, who the f*ck is Sherry?”

And people died.

Someone yelled out “It’s her birthday, she’s 40 today” to which I replied “I don’t give a shit. I get top billing around here. Did any of you pay to see Sherry? I hate her. Sherry can kiss my ass. In fact, get up everyone…we are going back there to tell her that.”

Then I launched into a bit about how my name was misspelled and that usually people just drop one of the “M” but this was the first time I had ever seen it be replaced by an “L” and then some riffs about how I am not taking any shit from them tonight and that from now on I am taking my gigs elsewhere.

And the show started off with a bang. It really was a lot of fun. There was a ton of interaction with the audience and everything flowed well and I was pretty relaxed. I wish every show was like that. Good times.

I did some video of it with my Flip video recorder. When (and by when, I do mean IF) I figure out how to download video and post it on the blog I will. There were some really funny people in the audience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, such language!! I'm surprised someone hasn't written a letter to the Morrison County Record about your sinful tongue!